Re: [Fwd: Fwd: IMPORTANT]

At 07:43 PM 9/14/2000 -0700, Jim wrote:
>>My friends,  I checked out this bill through the Congress web page.  It is listed.  www.thomas.loc.gov/ is the web page, then enter the bill # SB2099 after viewing that location, I suggest clicking on "Bill summary & status file"  then click on CRS Summary
>>that talks about the intended fees etc.
>
>Then if you return to the Thomas home page you can find your Congress person and ways to contact.
>Linda
>
>>Send e-mail to your senators
>>Gun owners beware!
>>
>>Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on our 2000 1040 federal tax form all guns that you have or own.
>>
>>It may require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun.  This bill was introduced on Feb. 24. This bill will become public knowledge 30 days after it is voted into law.  This is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986. This means that the Finance Committee can pass this without the Senate voting on it at all.
>>
>>The full text of the proposed amendment is on the U.S. Senate homepage, <http://www.senate.gov/>http://www.senate.gov/
>>You can find the bill by doing a search by the bill number, SB-2099.  You know who to call; I strongly suggest you do.
>>
>>Please send a copy of this e-mail to every gun owner you know to help STOP this bill!!

Couple things.  The $50 tax is a one-time tax on manufacture.
There is also a transfer tax provision.  The whole thing is
under Treasury and the IRS, and requires registration, but there
is no mention of registration on the 1040; other forms to be used
for registration purposes are mentioned.  Mr. Reed has also
introduced a bill to make handguns covered under the Consumer
Product Safety Act, so that, presumably, any gun capable of
hurting people would open the manufacturer to liability.  Mr.
Reed is the only sponsor of SB-2099, and he is in the current
minority party, which means it has a snowball's chance in hell
of going anywhere.

Unless of course the minority party becomes the majority party
in November, and they continue to hold the White House.  So get
out and vote!

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx