Re: Jim-Karls tire comments

Jim Karl,

I'll second you on the Macadam X's, they're fine tires.  I've gone
through four sets.

Where's this MCN tire test test you refer to?  Is this Motorcycle
Consumer News (can't find it in two+ years of back issues)
or the UK-base Motor Cycle News (can find it at
http://www.motorcyclenews.com either), or somewhere else?

I take exception to your observation that  "sticky tires, dont mean
squat in the real world, aside from psychologically giving confidence".

I slid the front tire (BT-020) on my RS recently just by pushing the
front slightly in a sharp right-hander.  I was nowhere near scraping
the pegs.  I was lucky to recover from that mistake.  On the Michelin
Pilots I'm running now, I really don't think that slide would've happened.
(For that matter, I don't think it would've happened with Macadam Xs.)

Pushing the front, emergency stops, swerves, stopping on a curve, a light
coating of sand on the road-  all kinds of unplanned stuff can exceed
available traction in the real world.  Even for riders that don't usually
scrape pegs in the twisties.

And that's in the dry.  For riding in the wet, Gary Jaehne ("Sportbiking:
The Real World") recommends  top-of-the-line sportbike tires with a
soft compound.  (p.78, 1st edition)

Lastly, confidence buys safety all by itself.  Lots of crashes are caused
by simple loss of nerve (i.e., "choking".)   I've witnessed riders simply
lift the bike up and crash because they lacked the confidence to tighten
their line.  More than once!  On curves that were no problem for their bike
at the speed they were going.

As for me, I like the Michelin Pilot Sports better than the Macadam Xs and
hope they don't wear out *too* fast.  I'd be fine with 5/6K miles per set.
Much under 4K would be too inconvenient in terms of shop time.

- -Don