Dear Abbey:

So now to ask for some advice:

My 00 ST in the heretofore-reliable and more-than-adequately-fast blue has
had some problems lately, and I need to figure out what to do, and whether
to change my dealer relationship.

By way of preface, I've been dealing with Matt Capri at South Bay Triumph
for about 5 years, and been totally happy...until recently, when I've
become less so and doubtful. And now I need to decide what to do.

Here's the history:

Bought the bike from Matt in February. Took it in for the 6,000 mile
service in late July (yeah, I know, not many miles, but I do have another
bike...). Got it back, found a puddle under the bike...dark fluid, I
assumed it was oil. Took it back, he couldn't find any oil leak. Brought it
home, (after filling he tank) and found a bigger puddle. Sniffed it, and
realized that there was gasoline in the fluid.

Back to Matt, where he explained that I had overfilled the tank and left it
in the sun, which caused the gas to leak out. This seemed odd and
improbable, but I made it a point to leave some headspace when I filled the
tank in the future.

More leakage. Matt & mechanic explained that I'd forced gas into the carbon
canister evaporative recovery system, they'd fixed it.

More leakage, bad words from me to mechanic.

Explained to me that "You punched a hole in the tank with a fuel nozzle."
Went through an unpleasant conversation in which they agreed to warranty
the tank.

Picked up the bike. Leaking, now appears to be oil. All along, the puddles
on the floor have been dark, which I assumed was grime dissolved in
gasoline.

Dropped the bike off Thursday morning before they opened. (I go to work
early.) Spoke with the service writer, who explained that the mechanic was
out, and they couldn't get to it that day. Agreed that I'd pick the bike up
Saturday afternoon (rode the Speed Triple to San Diego).

Came back Saturday afternoon, they hadn't looked at the bike. They are
backed up with work scheduled a week ago.

Had a full and frank discussion with them. Explained how unhappy I was
about the recent history; they said they understood and asked for another
chance.

Here's the dilemma.

Up to this, Matt has been good to me and is close to my house. Jeremy Horn,
who is now at Southern California Triumph (kind of far from my house) did
most of the work I was happy with . Based on the recent history with Matt,
my impression is that he needs to get the back of his shop back together.

I'm interested in the list's reaction to the above history. Am I just being
unreasonable to be pissed off? Would you take your bike back to a shop
where you'd had that kind of experience??

BTW, I did look at the tank, and there is a noticeable depression in the
plastic right under the nozzle opening. Any ideas on that one??

MarcD
slightly leaky 00 ST "Vixen"
reliable 95 Speed Triple "Strumpet"