Fuel leak?

Hi all, been inactive for a few weeks now, currently in an intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop which has prevented me from even reading most of my mail.

I have a question - over the last couple of tanks, my fuel mileage has dropped significantly, to 35mpg.  Before I was getting to 180 miles before hitting the fuel light, now hitting it at 130.  Is this a plausible level for city riding, or do I have a fuel leak?  I've suspected the latter because I've conspiciously smelled gas a couple of times while stopped on the bike (red light/stop sign), but never seen any puddles below the bike, and I've looked.  Never had the fuel sender replaced, though it was a bit wild when I first got the bike.  (Better now, strangely.)

Any input appreciated...

 -- Jim, 2000 Sprint ST, Jamaica Plain, MA