Contiforce Report

I'm glad I did not read the magazine review before I purchased the Conti's.
Since they finished dead last, I probably would not have gotten them. The
one thing that stuck in my mind before we left for VA were the comments on
stability. As I was riding down the Interstate I noted that the tires were
significantly more stable than anything I have had on the bike to date
(BT57, MX90, 207 (twice) & 205). The review included 207's which I have had
some experience on, so my first impression of the test/testers would have
been, I wonder how much money they got. Since all bikes are different, I
won't say that, just that the test results are suspect to me based on
personal experience. I won't be placing quite the same level of importance
on those test anymore. The Conti's were very stable on the ST, I found
passing semi's on corners to be a much more pleasant experience than on any
previous tire. The bike felt planted with no tendency to wander where all of
the previous tires had felt varying degrees of nervous/wandering tendencies
in this circumstance. The front tire felt softer (carcass) than the 205,
probably closer to the 207. The rear felt just about as stiff as the 205.
When we got to the corners in VA I noticed that the Conti's turn a bit
different than the 205/207. They seem to turn ever so slightly slower, then
the response when leaning further seems more linear. Surprisingly, they
seemed to transition over the top with just about the same amount of ease. I
probably went 100 miles or so on winding (very tight) back roads before I
felt totally at home with them. After that, I found that they were really
very easy and enjoyable to ride. For the first time I got the pegs on the
ground, Dee does not like that and I normally strive to avoid it by using my
toes as feelers. These tires felt so comfortable that it just 'happened'. In
fact after a while I was planting the pegs then very casually adding more
lean to lever them up a bit. I really never found the point where I got
uncomfortable and since we were rapidly leaving the group we were riding
with, I decided to save the fun for our ride home Sunday, which never came
off unfortunately. Obviously I can't give a mileage report yet with only 700
or 800 on them, but I really have to put them on the very top of my list of
tires. Much more user friendly than any of the previous ones I have used.
Previously I probably would have put the 205's on the top of my list. They
never slid or broke loose but I never seem to have any problems with sliding
tires anyway, maybe that is more a matter of sudden loading or personal
riding style. I would not tell anyone to run right out and buy a set since
the 'testers' seem to put them on the very bottom, besides that would mean
there will be lots left on the dealers shelves at bargain prices for me.

Paul & Dee
Madd Dawg & Dinky Dawg
1999 Sprint ST
2000 Buell X1