sweaty gloves

In a message dated 9/24/00 9:59:34 PM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Believe it or not this glove has not felt moving pavement.
>This is what happens to every set of gloves I\'ve owned.
>Do any of ya\'ll know what I can do to prevent this from happening.
>Only thing I can think of that could be causing this, is the sweat
>from my hands.
>I\'ve been told that my hands are extremely acidic and after an hour
>of riding my
>gloves are usually soaked in sweat (which means I rarely have to
>worry about anyone
>wanting to steal them :] )  The tear you see is the leather tearing
>next to the seam
>but not the seam itself.  The seam stitching is intact. >>

Thurlow's leatherworld in San Diego puts some instructions in the package
with each pair of deerskin gloves they sell, pointing out that sweat rots
leather. They reccommend washing the gloves with water once in a while, and
also the use of "Mink Oil" to keep it supple. It sounds as if you have
hyperhydrosis (excessively sweaty hands) and possible you should wash the
sweat out after each use of the gloves. You might also consider having a
limited thoracic sympathectomy which should cure the hyperhydrosis. Dave
Collins MD, San Diego