RE: st-digest V2000 #504

Dave,
I think this is one of those issues that will have lots of opinions and
probably very little in the way of solid information. The pressure listed on
the sidewall should be the max for the tire (probably says that somewhere).
The tire manufacturer could probably provide a recommendation, but I for one
don't really know where to find this information and have serious doubts
that they are going to test all bikes and combinations. The owners manual
should be a good place to get some information that will get you in the
ballpark. That gets us to 36, 42. I would think that making small changes to
that pressure to arrive at something you like as an individual, would be
appropriate. Guess the only concern I would have is going too low and
overheating the tire. I personally like a stiffer carcass/ride (36, 42)
because it provides me more 'feel', but then I was raised on the old pre
radial stuff so it might just be that I can't adapt well, where newer riders
might prefer something with more compliance. I think the bottom line with
tires and pressures is to get a setup that gives you confidence on the bike,
something that 'feels' right to you. Make small changes to evaluate, don't
exceed max pressure.

Paul & Dee
Madd Dawg & Dinky Dawg
1999 Sprint ST