[ST] Rear Suspension settings

Dear All,

I'm a total non-mechanic who just enjoys riding my bike. Adjusting my chain
is about as far as it goes. Some people might say that to get the best out
of riding your bike, you need to know about suspension adjustment. Well I'm
afraid I don't. However I hope with your help I might learn now.

My rear suspension has suddenly started to "bottom out" when going over
bumps. I don't know if this can be remedied by standard adjustments or the
whole unit needs replacing. I've done about 11,000 miles. Wondering whether
I could fix the problem with adjustments, I dug out my (very clean) handbook
to see how to make them.

What I found were terms like "Rebound Damping Adjustment" and "Spring
Pre-load Adjustment". Unfortunately the handbook does not deign to explain
what these terms actually mean. Which adjustment do I make and do I increase
it or decrease it to fix the "bottoming out" problem?

Any help from more experienced folk would be appreciated.

Best wishes to all on the list.

- -Robert Wilson.