[ST] givi top rack adapters

anyone out there have a givi adapter for their rear rack?

i'm thinking of getting a rear rack expressly to use for mounting a
topcase -- and since we're getting givi luggage for my wife's bike, it
makes sense to get a givi case for me.

what i'm not sure about is what i should order.  everyone seems to
list the "aluminum top plate", the "adaptor brackets", and the "top
plate kit" as separate items, and i assume the "kit" is the sum of the
"plate" and "brackets" items.

can anyone who has installed it tell me if the "adaptor brackets" is
really $15 worth of hardware, and if it's really "necessary" stuff?
if i can pick up what i need (i.e, probably some bolts, and maybe some
little metal bracket doodads) to attach the aluminum plate to the rack
at the local h/w store (or even find it all in my workshop parts
collection) then i'd be inclined to not spend the extra $$$.  but if there
really are machined, purpose-specific parts in there, i guess i'd get
the full kit.

paul
p.s. do folks really trust the OEM rack enough to use a top box on it
without worrying it's going to fall off or crack on a bumpy road?