Nervous Front End (long)

I'm sure this has been discussed in this forum, but I'm looking for some
fresh feedback.

With almost 1000 miles on my new '01 ST, I've had concerns with the soft
front end. The front end on the ST seems much more nervous than what I'm
used to. My former steed was an '88 CBR1000F Hurricane, which was heavier
with a longer wheelbase, Progressive springs and a Fox twin-clicker. The
Hurricane felt solid and the front end felt planted. I'm a moderately
aggressive rider, and twice now I've left clinch marks on my saddle from
suprises from my front fork. The first was very close to a full tankslapper
after hitting what was likely a hole in the road. (Went back two weeks later
and couldn't see anything there other than a change in the texture of the
asphalt, did the highway dept. actually patch it?) The second was leaned
over in a turn the front end started skipping over some rough pavement and
got so goofy I thought it was going to be earth, sky, earth, sky..... It's
been very many years since I've had such negative feedback through my
handlebars.
Dealer checked out the steering head bearings between incident 1 & 2, and
said they may have been slightly loose, but that doesn't satisfy me for the
second bit of excitement. I'll admit I haven't had the bike but 1 month and
haven't done anything to set the sag, and have only just started
experimenting with preload.

How many of you have had dramatic experiences with the front suspension?
What mods, other than RaceTech, have you done, and were they satisfactory?
Anyone put a steering damper on the bike? What about replacing the springs
without revalving?  Could there be issues with excessive lateral play in the
front wheel?

I'm going to ride those fantastic Texas Hill Country roads (SH335, 336, 337,
& 674) in several weeks and will be with a very fast group, but my ST is
giving me anxieties about what other suprises the front end has in store for
me. Any feedback is welcome. Yeah, I know that a RaceTech front end is
probably cheaper than a hospital bill, but I don't know if that is the
answer and was looking for other ideas.

BTW, anyone fitted a VistaCruise throttle lock? What were the mods required?

For those of you still on dial-up, sorry for the length.  At least you
didn't have to scroll through replays of replies or meaningless debates on
linguistics or fashion sense.

TTFN,
tollah
- --
it is socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time
iratollah

'01 Blue ST
'88 Silver Hurricane 1000

End of st-digest V2001 #197