[ST] Leaky Tank

A couple of weeks ago I went out to the garage one morning and smelled
gas. My first thought was that I had one of the infamous leaky senders,
but I have an original one that has given me 8800 care free miles. I had
filled up the day before and wrote it off as "over fill."

A week later I smelled it again. I looked around and couldn't find
anything abnormal. The day I washed the Blue Devil I looked deeper and
saw some grimy residue around the fuel pump plate. I did the old
"wipe-and-sniff" test and sure enough it smelled like gas. I called the
dealer and they told me to bring in the tank, if possible. They told
that it was quite easy to disconnect.

The next day I rode to work. I couldn't resist. The sun was shining, the
birds were singing and it was the best way to drain some gas from the
tank. When I got home that night my wife said "Were you playing with the
gas tank? Because you smell of gas." I went out and had the tank
removed, my tools put away, and myself cleaned up in less than a half an
hour.

It turns out that the leak was coming from the gasket under the fuel
pump plate. I sure hope that it comes in this week. I'll be taking a
Experienced Riders Class (it's a group lesson offered by a sport-touring
club) next saturday and, well, I would feel somewhat embarrassed about
showing up on the Little Red Putt-Putt.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country

2000 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"
1980 Honda CM400T "My Little Red Putt-Putt"

I.A.T.S.E. Locals #52 & 84

"I'm not a real carpenter, but I play one on t.v."