re: [ST] Nervous Front End (long)

>  From: ira <ira@xxxxxxx>
>  Subject: Nervous Front End (long)
>  To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>  With almost 1000 miles on my new '01 ST, I've had concerns with the soft
>  front end. The front end on the ST seems much more nervous than what I'm
>  used to...

	I don't recall anyone else finding the ST's steering "nervous". The
front end is soft, though. Also, the stock tires aren't great.

>  Dealer checked out the steering head bearings between incident 1 & 2, and
>  said they may have been slightly loose, but that doesn't satisfy me for the
>  second bit of excitement. I'll admit I haven't had the bike but 1 month and
>  haven't done anything to set the sag, and have only just started
>  experimenting with preload.

	Well, preload is how you set the sag, of course, but then you knew
that. If you leave the suspension as soft as it comes from the factory, you'll
likely be scraping the lower bodywork before the footpegs - I did it 'cause I
was lazy and hadn't taken the time to set up my suspension well early on. I'm
also not a lightweight guy, which didn't help.

>  How many of you have had dramatic experiences with the front suspension?
>  What mods, other than RaceTech, have you done, and were they satisfactory?

	Sorry, but most of us have gone the RaceTech route. Why the hesitation?
It's cheap, and the performance is much, much better.

>  Anyone put a steering damper on the bike? What about replacing the springs
>  without revalving?  Could there be issues with excessive lateral play in the
>  front wheel?

	I would think lateral play in the front wheel could be checked easily
enough while off the bike - if you've got any on a brand new bike then take it
back to the dealer and have 'em fix it.

>  I'm going to ride those fantastic Texas Hill Country roads (SH335, 336, 337,
>  & 674) in several weeks and will be with a very fast group, but my ST is
>  giving me anxieties about what other suprises the front end has in store for
>  me. Any feedback is welcome. Yeah, I know that a RaceTech front end is
>  probably cheaper than a hospital bill, but I don't know if that is the
>  answer and was looking for other ideas.

	Tires may help just as much given your symptoms - I like the Dunlop
D207 and D205 myself, but the triumphnet.com website has lotsa info on good
tires.

>  BTW, anyone fitted a VistaCruise throttle lock? What were the mods required?

	Not that I know of, but some of us have the ThrottleMeister, which is
much less obtrusive when not in use. I really like mine.
	( see http://members.aol.com/tmcruise1/tm.html )

Another angle... and I mean this helpfully, not scornfully... how's your riding
skill/technique at the moment? If you're sliding the front in turns it's
generally because you're not rolling on the throttle to transfer weight
rearward. Perhaps in general you do it well but in learning your new machine's
personality you've done it badly a couple of times, like avoiding a bump or
hole in a turn you rolled off and then back on. Just something to think about
as you build confidence in your new mount.

Enjoy your wonderful new machine!

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	'01 SV650S  "Cherii"