[ST] For Patti and David Earl

At 09:55 AM 09/04/01 -0700, Patti wrote:
>CalBMW says that my bike is ready to pick up.  They claimed they found
>some corrosion on the battery terminals, and checked every wire and
>connector several times, after which they took it for a 40-mile ride
>and it never stalled once.
>
>They didn't mention whether they were going to take responsibility for
>it or not,

And David Earl wrote:

Hello all. My '99 ST has developed a leak in the line running from the
crankcase up to the cylinder head. It only leaks when I'm running high
(7500+) RPM's at high speed. After it' first trip to the shop for
repairs it's become worse.

Patti -- the dealer would (should, anyway) have unhooked the battery to do
the work. If there was any corrosion, they should have dealt with it at
that time.

David -- the dealer should have fixed the problem, not made it worse.

See a pattern here? As I wrote in a previous post, if a problem develops
right after the bike's been wrenched on, the likelihood that the wrenching
caused it or made it worse is overwhelming.

A friend of mine once owned a Merc, which she took in to get an electrical
fault fixed. They replaced the alternator, charged her a bunch of money and
the condition remained. She returned to the dealer, who found another
unrelated part (I forget which) to be at fault, replaced it and charged her
again. When she queried why she should have to pay for both parts, the
dealer replied that both parts had failed at once.

Like faults that appear spontaneously after wrenching, this doesn't happen
either. Statistical likelihood, almost zero.

Don't but their bullsh*t. The dealer should pay. Lean hard.

Robert "Sheep Dawg" Smith--Freelance Writer
'00 ST
Vancouver, BC
www.smith.bc.ca