Re: [ST] re: service costs

Robert,
You need to find better dealers if this is the impression you are getting
from them.

Being someone who grew up in a Ducati/Moto Guzzi/Triumph/Norton/BSA/BMW
motorcycle shop where my father was the only mechanic and my mother was the
parts counter/sales/business manager I find this notion that there are
mechanics out there who aren't doing the full job offensive.  Details are
what makes a dealer great, my father has been an exemplary BMW and now new
Triumph wrench since the early 80's and would not short a required maint
list.  He has often checked and inspected things that weren't on the list
because he had seen unusual things happen to those pieces.  His reputation
has made for some interesting stories.  In 1982 a man from Germany who was
touring across America stopped at our shop specifically because he had heard
about the great service and attention to detail we had.  At the shop my
father works at now, in Kansas City, a man from south western Missouri came
in and asked for him by name to work on his bike, again because of the
deserved reputation.  I am currently very happy with the skill and
thoroughness of the mechanics at my local dealer here in St. Louis.

I did notice you stated "...our bike is just another pay check to MOST mech.
out there." I'm glad you at least seem willing to see that there are
acceptations out there, and didn't generalize all mechanics.  There are some
mechanics out there who still believe that the job they do reflects
personally on them, sometimes you gotta look for them, but they're out
there.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen

<<
Darren you are ABSOLUTELY correct. If you think these ( hi tech Triumph )
mech.
care for your bike as much as you do, you would be gravely mistaken.
Doing it yourself ( if you are able ) is far superior than any dealer I
know.
If you look at the list of items they are supposed to check, replace or
adjust,
you would be lucky if they do half.
Sorry but this is the real world truth, your bike is just another pay check
MOST
mech. out there. If I'm wrong prove me so.

Robert
'00 Blue ST
'98 XR440R
'00 XR200R