Re: [ST] Initial oil change

Darwin Holmstrom wrote:
 > An independent test, again
 > conducted by Motorcycle Consumer News about 8 or 9 years back,
 > rated standard Mobil 1 better than most other motorcycle-specific
 > synthetic oils.

Did you let your subscription expire, Darwin? MCN had a three part oil
report in 2000, spanning the August, October, and November issues. In
this latest round, MCN leaned towards Mobil 1 TriSynthetic 15W/50
(automotive) and MX4T 10W/40, Amsoil High Performance 10W/40
(automotive), and Redline Hi Performance 10W/40. Their criteria focused
on evaporative losses, total base numbers (TBN), anti-wear additives,
anti-oxidants, and viscosity retention.

However, MCN noted that every rider should determine how they use their
motorcycle and pick an oil that performs best for that kind of use. For
example, if you have an air-cooled bike and spend a lot of time stuck in
slow traffic, you'll want an oil with minimal evaporative losses and an
aggressive anti-wear additive package. However, if you have a
liquid-cooled bike that only sees 2K miles/year of twisties you'll want
to look for an oil with a high TBN and lots of anti-oxidants.

(And, sorry folks, but I'm not going to type in the articles or look up
how your favorite oil rated. Buy the back issues from Ian Smith
Information at 303-777-2385. While you're at it, subscribe to the
magazine -- it's an excellent source of unbiased information.)
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA