[ST] Daytona

Having caught up with my e-mail backlog after returning from Daytona, I
thought I would post a few notes about the trip, on my '99 ST, about 2,700
miles each way. I think my main message is that I found the bike quite
satisfactory in almost stock condition; the only significant add-ons being
the ScottOiler, and Triumph electric handgrip warmers, both of which were
quite helpful. The standard ScottOiler resevoir lasted all the way to
Florida, causing a little spatter on the rear wheel, but keeping the chain
nicely lubricated. I did have to refill the resevoir for the return trip,
which the large touring resevoir would have done for me, but I preferred
carrying a little extra oil to having the awkward touring resevoir, designed
for Euro licence plates, on the bike.
The hand warmers were much appreciated, as most of the weather was cold, even
along the southern route-AM temps in the low 30's on some days.The bike
always started right up on the cold mornings.
I found the stock windshield and handlebars complemented each other-my head
was up in non-turbulent air, and the wind pressure kept the weight off my
wrists, so that I was quite comfortable. The stock seat was fine, as well,
with only moderate, ah, discomfort ocurring after about 300 miles (we did 500
mile days). The stock headlight bulbs were fine, too-as much light as I am
used to driving a car. I can't comment on my two (high and low) Fiamm horns,
as I didn't honk at anyone during the trip, except to say that they were both
still there when I got back to San Diego, and had not been pushed into the
radiator by the fork action.
As I mentioned previously, the Throttle Meister made my right hand cramp up,
constantly adjusting it to keep pace with my small group, and with hills and
dales.
While we're talking stock, let me also say that my California
emission-controlled, catalytic converter bearing-bike, with stock muffler and
(updated) stock factory tune was smooth as silk and had more power than I
knew what to do with. I derived no little satisfaction from knowing that I
had crossed this beautiful land from sea to shining sea and back again,
contributing minimum quantities of noise, soot, oxides of nitrogen and
gasoline vapor to my surroundings
Daytona was great, of course. The Triumph gang did a good job-I took a demo
ride on an '01 TT600, and think I will get one. I went with the Rat group up
the coast to St Augustine for fish and chips in the King's Head pub, but
didn't get to talk to Eric, or anyone else much, due to the congested
conditions there.
I noticed coming back down the freeway at speeds verging on the triple digit
level, that I couldn't seem to hold a line as well as the person I was
following, which I thought might be due to crosswinds on my top box. Later,
on the way home I found that there were only 8 lbs of air in my rear tire (a
new Avon Azaro II). After removing the offending nail,  I repaired it with a
Dynaplug, an ingeniously-conceived device with a small brass arrow-head
attached to some rubber coated string, that is forced in through the hole
without reaming it and possible damaging the casing. The tire is still
holding air, but will need replacing soon.
The trip was marred by one mishap-a drop in a gravel gas station forecourt.
Wish I'd had the German frame sliders that I got from Jack Lilley installed
before I left. Dave Collins, San Diego

End of st-digest V2001 #214