Re: [ST] Sauber GP Engine

>From: Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ST] Sauber GP Engine

>Have you seen any pictures of the new head design?
>I'm curious how they route the snakes...

Only a picture of a long motor in the magazine (Australian Motorcycle News).
The exhaust stubs are in exactly the same position as the inlets on a modern downdraught cylinder head.
The throttle bodies are at a similar downdraught angle, but at the front of the head.
It is hard to visualise what angle the cylinder block will be in a chassis. If the crankcase & sump joint lines are horizontal, the cylinders are vertical, instead of inclined as in most modern production motors.

>Wasn't there a post on this list that referenced an article questioning
>why Honda and Yamaha were developing engines capable of putting out
>greatly in excess of 200 HP?

If the 4 strokes are heavier, they will need some extra hp to accelerate as quickly.

Some other points about this motor :
Racing life : 600 km
Lease cost : $3 - 5million (US) p.a.
No wonder Yamaha's 4 stroke GP budget is 7 times whatever they had for the current 500's

Darren Mason.
2000 ST.
Melbourne, AuSTralia.