Re: [ST] tall riders--also dealer pricing

Hello Brian,
	Of course we all admire your taste.  I'll start by saying I am 6'3"
225lbs and 36" inseam.  So we're about the same size (except I've got
more to carry around!).  The Sprint is THE most comfortable bike I've
ever owned.  The list:  '89 Ninja 250 (mistake),'86 Yamaha FZ750,'94
VFR750, '94 YZF750, '97 YZF1000, and another '97 YZF1000.  I kept trying
to get the last bike more comfy with a seat and bar change until I got
fed up and went to find something for sporty-touring.  Sprint won.  I'm
very glad I did it.  The suspension is a bit lacking here and there but
that's fixable.  The motor is not as powerful as my YZF1000 but that's
like saying the Porsche 911 is not as fast as the 911 Turbo.  They're
both fast!  The torque and smoothness of the triple is very nice.
	But let's get back to comfort.  I definitely don't think I've got the
toughness of the iron-butt folks.  Actually I think I'm kinda of a wuss
when it comes to motorcycle comfort.  It's why I went to the Sprint.  I
wanted a motorcycle that didn't keep me from exploring roads. The last
long ride I went on was about 250 miles and it was only supposed to be a
120 mile jaunt.  I just had no reason as before to go home (wrists would
hurt, etc.)  When I reached the point where I previously would have
turned home, I realized that I didn't need to.  How liberating!
	I will say the seat needs some work (at least for a big-butt guy like
me).  It's what made part of the trip uncomfortable when I went touring
with the wife two weeks ago.  I think if I can get a seat upgrade it
would definitely help.  My WEAKEST point is my wrists.  I used to have
to deal with lots of pain after/during riding.  If I went on a multi-day
trip where I was on the bike every day, I had some pain for days
afterward.  I would think it was the price to pay.  I have never had
that problem on the Sprint.  If only for that reason, I am completely
happy with it.
	As far as price, I bought my 2001 British Racing Green ST new for $10k
OTD in January.  This was lacking SC tax and tags, as I bought it in NC,
but still a good price.  They didn't pull any hidden charges or anything
on me.  I also bought my saddlebags, topcase etc. at the same time.  I
didn't have to, but it worked out for me as SC has a capped sales tax
amount, so adding the accessories onto the final price helped me skip NC
tax if I were to order them later.  I also got a %15 discount off of
parts and accessories, not only for when I bought the bike, but for
whenever I come back.

Glad to have you around,
	Mark Collett

brd wrote:

> Hey all, I'm new to the group, looking to get a new(er) bike this summer.
> I'm moving up from 4 years on a 650 nighthawk.  The nighthawk is a
> great, dependable bike, but just not comfortable enough for me to do
> more than an hour on at a time.
>
> I'm 6'4", 36" inseam, 175lbs.  I'm looking for a bike that I can do at
> least a 300 mile day on, maybe up to 500.
>
> At first I was thinking of maybe a "comfortable" sportbike, like
> Yamaha's YZF600R, or possibly a VFR.  Insurance on the YZF is enough
> to turn me off of them, unless I want to just have liability on it.
> Someone told me to look at the ST.  I went to a dealer (Eurosport Cycle
> in Ft. Worth) and sat on one and I am enamored.
>
> The fit seemed okay, no knee clunking.  I didn't have a chance to take
> one out, but they will let me demo an RS they have (though I understand
> the RS's seating position is a little more agressive and the bars lower,
> right?)
>
> I'm concerned about longer trips though, like how I'll be after an hour
> or two.  Can any taller riders tell me about their experiences?  (I
> tried searching the archive, but couldn't find much).  How's the seat,
> handlebars and screen?  Any modifications necessary or recommended for
> someone my height?
>
> Also, how flexible is pricing on a new ST?  I realize this is spring an
> all, so it's not as good as buying in the winter.  List is $10,800 on
> the one I looked at.  What's a good "out the door" price for a 2001?
> (if it matters, I'm in Dallas, Texas) I figure there's always room for
> negotiation, but I don't want to insult anyone.  Obviously, there's not
> as much demand for these bikes as for the Japanese ones, but I guess
> smaller supply evens that out.
>
> If I want to get bags with it, is it best to negotiate those as part
> of the initial purchase or to order them later?  Ditto heated grips
> (yes, I live in Texas, call me a wuss, but I ride year round and it can
> occasionally get chilly).
>
> Any other shopping/buying advice is welcomed.  Sorry for the long post,
> I guess I probably should have made this 2 separate messages.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

- --

Mark Collett