Re: [ST] long trip suggestions

Otterboy!
My husband and I just returned from a 4300 mile trip.  From Nashville, TN we
went to Daytona, FL, over to Austin, TX and back to Nashville, TN.  He had
just purchased a 2nd ST and still had his old one so we both rode the STs on
this trip. :)  (I have a Ducati Monster Dark and KNEW it would not be
conducive for such a trip).

While I don't have suggestions about your route, I do have suggestions on
tires and another little hint.  Battlax has a new tire, you are probably
familiar with, BT020.  It is a "sport-touring" tire that we have currently
put over 5000 miles on both bikes.  Since my husband was carrying more
weight on his bike on our trip, his have gone away a bit quicker than mine
have, but still are rideable.  In fact, just last weekend, my husband took
the new ST to Deal's Gap with the better set of tires and said it performed
wonderfully!  Naturally, on a technical piece of road like that, nothing out
performs new tires, but these did not slow him down a bit.  SO, I would
highly recommend the Battlax BT020.  It's brand new on the market, and
depending on the kind of dealer you have in your area, they may have to
contact their distributor for the new part numbers on these tires.

The other little hint that might allow you to increase your daily mileage is
the Air Hawk.  You are probably familiar with it as well.  If not, it is a
seat pad that you can blow air into, as much or as little as you prefer.
While it is a bit pricy at $199, it's very much worth the investment.  Going
on a 6500 mile trip like you're talking about, the Air Hawk would be a MUST
HAVE on our list.  I can promise you will feel less fatigued at the end of
each day with this wonderful invention!

Good luck with your route and be safe! :)
Melanie
Nashville, TN
'99 & '00 Black ST