Re: [ST] RS running hot?

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:41:37 -0700, "Nowak, Nick"
<n.nowak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I just picked up a y2k demo model with 800 miles a month ago.  My previous
>bike was an old '81 air cooled honda.  Thus, I have no frame of reference.
>I love the RS, but I think it might be running hot.  After extended highway
>riding the temp guage reaches 210 while driving in subsequent low speed stop
>and go city traffic on a 60 degree day.  When I parked the bike and shut it
>down, it hit 213.  The fan ran for a while once parked and shut off.  This
>has happened a couple of times now.  Is this normal, or will I be in trouble
>when it reaches 90 degrees in the summer.  Each time this has happened I was
>driving mildly with the rpm's never exceding 5-6000.  Also, the bike appears
>to be running hot enough to turn the stainless exhuast canister yellow.  I
>now have 1250 miles on the bike.  Do I have a problem with the bike, or am I
>just being overly paranoid  with my new baby.

My ST turned it's pipe and canister a nice shade of yellow after just
a few thousand miles, so the color you are seeing is normal and
expected.

As for the temperature - modern liquid-cooled engines use a
pressurized cooling system so temperatures can get as high as 250ºF
without any real danger. The reason for it is because water absorbs
more than 5 times as much heat per pound as it turns into steam than
it does in heating up from the freezing point to the boiling point.
That special property of water allows the designer to seal the cooling
system and let increased pressure (from steam formation) to regulate
the temperature and minimize thermal variations through the engine's
operating range. That not only helps keep emissions low, it also helps
the engine to run better and reduces the incidence of deposits in the
combustion chamber.

If you look at digital temperature gauges on any modern engine you
will find them operating in about the same range as your RS does.

End of st-digest V2001 #233