Re: [ST] off topic: UK geography

In your message regarding Re: [ST] off topic: UK geography dated Tue, 24
Apr 2001 17:08:28 +0100, Keith W Peters said that ...

>KWP-  I believe the following is correct but any other resident may point out my
>KWP-  errors if they wish.
>KWP-
>KWP-  United Kingdom	- Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland & England (not including
>KWP-  territories)

You forgot the Orkneys, the Hebrides, the Shetlands, (plus a few other
Western Scottish Isles which happen to make some very fine Malt), the
Isles of Scilly, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands (the latter two
are Crown dependencies) :-)

>KWP-  Great Britain		- Wales, Scotland & England

The "British Isles" includes the whole of Ireland (Northern and the
Republic [Eire]) since they were united - Henry VIII took the title 'King
of Ireland' in 1542 (although they had been governed by the English
monarchy from 1172), however part of Ireland became 'devolved' (UDI) in
1922.

>KWP-  Eire (Southern Ireland) is separate from all the above.
>KWP-
>KWP-  Within the individual countries we have counties (Cumbria, Lancashire etc)

County administrators (County Councils) raise local taxes (property based
- - Poll tax [rates]) to pay for local services (refuse collection,
amenities, etc) which are not entirely funded by the central purse.

>KWP-  All of the UK is governed by the Parliament in London, England but Wales,
>KWP-  Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own assemblies which make
>KWP-  decisions on a local basis.

The Scots also have their own legal system.

Residents of any part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland may stand for election as Member of Parliament but only residents
of individual countries may stand in their own assemblies.

Confused?  Well it has taken a thousand years to get to this point of the
British Constitution since the Magna Carta signed by King John at
Runnymead, 15 June 1215 (a sort of English 'Statute of Liberties' - in
fact the full name was 'Magna Carta Libertatum' [the Great Charter of
Liberties]) and Tony Blair has undone almost 1000 years in just over 1000
days - no wonder you're confused, I am :-((((

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders