Re: [ST] re: RaceTech oil weight

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Eric Sheley wrote:

> At 11:04 AM 4/23/01 -0700, Jim Huber wrote:
> >Do you think it's a good idea to put different weights of oil in the forks
> >instead of mixing the oils? It seems to me that then one fork - the one with
> >the heavier weight oil - is doing most or all of your damping. I think I'd mix
> >the 10w and 15w together and fill both forks with it, but I'm no suspension
> >expert...
>
> I've seen lots of mention of running the two weights both here and on other
> lists. I am only guessing (as I am not an engineer), but I would have to
> say that it makes no difference as the shocks function as a single system
> (one fork cannot rise at a higher rate than the other).

I would expect that since you have different amounts of force being
applied with each should you would wind up with the froks wanting
to twist and/or bend the axel. What you could wind up with is the
centre line of the wheel wandering to the left and right.

Personally I would never ever do that, the two shocks should always
be setup identically to avoid extra stress on the front suspension
components.

IMNSHO that is, YMMV of course.

Tom