Re: [ST] sprint st or st1100

Brian:

First off, I will say that I do not own a Sprint ST.  I own a Triumph
Daytona and a BMW R1100S (and a Thunderbird with a sidecar, but that's for
another topic).

I did own a Honda ST1100 for about 2 years and went on two long trips (over
3,000 miles) on it.  I had all kinds of accessories on the Honda and even
had the forks fully Race Teched out (my opinion:  don't waste your money
doing this to a ST1100, it makes the handling worse).  I sold the Honda and
bought the BMW R1100S because I wanted something that was lighter, more
nimble, easier to ride in the corners but could still carry enough clothes
and extras for a two week trip.  In 1999, I rode my BMW R1100S with Lisa and
Richard White to Park City, Utah from Texas.  We travelled through Texas,
New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and back.  Observing their Sprint ST's
day to day and riding together led me to the conclusion that the Sprint ST
was equal or superior in almost every category to my previous Honda ST1100
(and even my trusty BMW R1100S).

The Honda is fairly comfortable and is definitely an all day "tourer".  It
has a hugh gas tank (7.4 gallons, if I remember right), a shaft drive (no
big deal really, but to some shaft drives are a slight edge for touring
bikes), and is built well.  The Triumph Sprint ST is also built well, is
reliable, has plenty of range (a lot farther than the size of my bladder),
and has been shown to be a great tourer also.

The main difference is that the ST1100 is a SLUG in the corners and,
frankly, is a handful in curvy, mountain riding.  I had many more "ass
puckering" moment riding the ST1100 than I've had on the BMW, riding Sprint
St's, or watching Lisa and Richard riding their Sprint ST's.  I've ridden
several Sprint ST's in the last two years and have recommended the Triumph
over the Honda ST1100 or the Honda VFR to friends several times.

Think of the difference this way:  The Honda ST1100's emphasis is on
"touring" (in much the same way the Goldwing's emphasis is on touring)
whereas the Sprint ST emphasis is on the "sport" part of "Sport-touring".

Finally,  I personally hated the sound of the Honda engine.  Even with
after-market exhaust, it sounds like a small car engine (which is, I
believe, what it is derived from).

John Westcott