[ST] Aftermarket Cans

I remember a while back, here on the list, that there was a thread going on
about how non Triumph cans would actually decrease performance.  There was
talk about how the tunes only supported the factory cans and use of other
cans would result in either rich or lean running.

Recently there has been some very positive feedback about non factory cans.
So what I want to know is what has changed? Have new models of aftermarket
cans been introduced?  Is there a mod to the tunes that allow them to work?
What is the deal and what should go into the decision making process in
choosing the "right" can.