Re: [ST] Hill Country Blue Bonnets Part 2 of 2

> on my map, the roads looks nice northwest of san antonio? no. 39, 16, 337,
> 470, 1050.
> how about it, are they nice ? thats from a AAA map. also have you ever
been
> to big bend nat park, whats it like ?

    Although I did not write the origianl post I will add  a few things. FM
337 is probably one of the best roads in Texas .Very scenic(fall is the
best)nice and twisty . Best to hit it during the week if possible.....to
almost any road NW of San Antonio is good.

Big Bend.....well this is one of my favorite places in Texas because it is
so remote.(depending on time of year) Mostly straight roads out that way but
it does have a beauty all its own.If you do go you must do several things.FM
2627 which is just outside the park on the east side off 385...one way in
and out but a nice ride with a nice view of a Mexico Ghost Town on the other
side(anyone been there  recently?)Good mexican food can be found at the end
of the road at the ranch most of the time.

Ride the Chisos Basin Road.....you climb to 6 or 7K....nice temp change and
a good view from the "window"trail.

Ride to Santa Elana Canyon and hike the canyon(1000' cliff walls)...only do
this is someone can stay with the bike or there are plenty people there
because of  theft.....well worth it if you can....and if you like leave the
canyon via "Old Maverick Road"....14miles of dirt.....and yes I have done
this on the bike.Very nice views with some interesting historic points along
the way.Should take about 2-2/12 hrs if you stop and enjoy the area.

Ride FM 170 which is to the west of the national park.....runs through Big
Bend Ranch State Park which is bigger  than the NP.This road runs along the
Rio Grande  with great views of the river...just use caution on this road as
you cant see over the hills in a lot of places.Probably the next best scenic
road in Texas imo....very different from the Hill Country....Take this road
west to Presidio and from there go north to Marfa and if its later ride east
towards Alpine and watch the Marfa Lights.

Ok.....all of this talk makes me want to hit the road....if I could just win
the lotto tonight:)

Robert