[ST] used bike: 1999 or 2000?

Any thoughts on if a used 2000 is better than a 1999 (other than it
obviously being younger and probably having fewer miles)?  From the FAQ,
it seems there aren't any major differences between the model years.
A few recalls, but if they've been taken care of, it should be a good
bike, right?

Reason I ask, there's a 99 for sale near me that had an engine rebuild
last year.  The owner says a rod broke, just a freak thing, and that it
was rebuilt under warranty 1300 miles ago (bike has 7700 now).  I've
looked around and heard of about 4 total 99's that had engine failures
that required rebuilds.

That kind of worries me, but I recognize that a rebuild is most likely
just as good as new.  It's just that the bike just went out of warranty
last month, so I'm wondering if it's coincidence the guy is selling?
I'm not sure if I can still finagle an extended warranty now or if I'd
want to.

So, any thoughts on whether it's worth it to get a 2000 over a 99?
Being the first model year, did the 99's have that many kinks to work
out?  Would they all be worked out by now on this bike?

Laters,
Brian