RE: [ST] Garage door opener

Previously, you (Thomas Emberson) wrote:
> Funny, I guess I must be a bit more fast paced life. I find that
> getting into the top box is a PITA, when on the road I try to keep
> at least one of the locks locked as I have been told that the
> latches have spontaneously opened.

I like to stop long enough to get off and stretch every 2 hours or so.
When I do that I can get into the top box in seconds if needed, even if
it is locked.

I often ride with the top box unlocked.  I've never had the latches
spontaneously open.  At least once I forgot to latch the top box.  No
problem.  The lid didn't pop open either.

> As well often times map reading/visor changes happen with out
> getting off the saddle. Same for getting gas for that matter, so
> having gas station break and water break stuff in front of me makes
> stops a bit quicker.  At least for me.

With a credit card in my pocket I can stop for gas without getting off
the bike and without opening the top box.  Water is on my back with a
tube to drink while riding.  Usually by the time I stop for gas (every
200 miles or so) I need to refill the CamelBak on very hot days.

> If there is one thing that
> I have found in my life is that what works for one does not
> necessarily work for another.

Indeed.

> And as far as the GPS, it works great, but with the limited screen
> size the hard copy, full colour map was still very much used. The
> GPS is great for warning of a turn, and telling you where you are.

Perfect!  That's all I need while riding.

> But figuring out how you are going to get there, especially if your
> are just riding by the seat of your pants, there is nothing better
> than the paper map.

Agreed, but that can be done under the shade of a big, old tree by
popping open the tob box.  Snick, snick and it opens.  Maps on top.

Different strokes for different folks.  I like that 5 or 10 minute
stretch every few hours, so opening the top box isn't a chore for me.
If you are trying to make miles by minimizing stops then a tank bag is
perfect for you.

Nice think about our beloved STs is they can satisfy us both.  :-)

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"