[ST] RE: (ST) Reviews, archive and partners

> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:49:07 +0100
> From: "Mike Bostock" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Another aid/device is the 'Pillion Pal' which is a belt
> supporting two grab
> handles that the rider wears.  I wear one when my SWMBO rides pillion.

And there was I thinking that was just your 'love-handles' pokin' through
your riding suit, Mike...   ~:)

On a more serious note, re Howlin's point about top boxes, wifey-poo tends
not to use ours as a backrest. There are two reasons for this: firstly it
jars her spine on anything other than smooth roads (a thing of the past - if
ever - in the UK), and secondly, if she sits back on it on motorways, the
buffeting's too extreme.

A good confidence booster - where it works - is for the postillion to put
their hands round the rider and onto the back end of the tank. This puts
them more in touch with what the bike and rider are doing, particularly for
cornering. It also gives them a good brace against braking, and as they're
leaning fairly well forward, it also gives them a natural brace against
acceleration. It does however depend on the relative sizes of the
rider/passenger and the rider's girth. It also depends on the 'degree of
affinity' between rider and passenger. I know of no hetero male passenger
that's prepared to do it with a male rider (inclination of the rider is
immaterial here)!

Regards,
- --
BRG