[ST] Re: Tea bags and stuff

> we are across the Atlantic Ocean where Triumph dealers are rare and
becoming
> rarer. Dealers are not thrilled with Triumph's inability to get them parts

While there has been some attrition, new shops are coming on board at a
greater rate than shops dropping the marque. The number of Triumph dealers
has doubled over the past couple of years. There are now about 225
nationwide. When a company is expanding as rapidly as Triumph, there are
going to be growing pains. I'm not making excuses for Triumph, I'm just
saying that problems are unavoidable. Triumph may not fare well in
comparison to larger (and more established) companies like BMW or Ducati,
but they look pretty good when compared to companies like Moto Guzzi,
Cagiva, MuZ, Bimota, Laverda, or MV.

I believe there isn't much of an aftermarket supply because of Triumph's
market position:
1) There aren't a lot of bikes on the road. Maybe 150,000 Hinckley produced,
divided by about 12 different models. So an aftermarket supplier of a gadget
that will fit a specific model, will have a very small potential market.
What kind of incentive is there when the worldwide market for a product is
20,000, when those same resources could be applied to create a product for
the VFR, for example?
2) Triumph owners don't have deep pockets that some marques attract. If the
majority of Triumph owners spent a lot of money heavily modifying their
bikes, demand would push supply. The typical new Harley usually ends up with
thousands of dollars in mods. This doesn't happen with Triumphs.

The good news is that as Triumph succeeds, there will be more bikes on the
road, and aftermarket suppliers will start to take notice.

> bikes and still tank if you don't support them properly. If we are not
happy
> with the resale value now, we will really hate it when/if Triumph bites
the
> big one again.

I don't have a problem with resale values because I realize that motorcycles
are depreciating assets. An exception (ie. Harley) does not disprove the
rule.

Besides, if Triumph folds, I'll have a classic. And I'll get to bore my kids
with stories about a motorcycle company back at the start of the millienium
who used to make these cool bikes...

Daphne