stock muffler modification & handling

hi: I'm a new member to the digest. I own a 2000 sprint st with about 4600
mi. so far. I need some help with some modifications I plan to do. First I
would like to know if anyone has tried to open up the stock muffler? I have
a 1 1/2 inch hole cutter on a 18 inch extension that I can insert through
the rear of the pipe. This I believe will give an almost straight through
exhaust path which should give better performance
and a louder exhaust note, which is what I'm looking for. Of course I would
take it to the dealer to put in the latest tune for a performance pipe.
The second is more of a problem of stability in cross winds and with large
trucks on the expressway. Any way to adjust the suspension to help this ?
I was going to try lowering the rear to increase the front trail, does this
make sense ? I'm looking for the least amount of impact on this stock bike.
I rather not change springs, or make major modifications as I think the
bike handles great otherwise. I thank anyone for your help. BLACKHAWK