[ST] Help w/ electrical problem?

I screwed up somehow. After repairing the soft low-side damage to my bike,
the turn signals didn't work. Well, they didn't work before I fixed it
either, so I don't feel too bad.

I traced the problem to a faulty "indicator unit", a relay that seems to act
as both the turn indicator flasher unit and a very expensive fuse.  :-(   In
the accident, the front left turn signal was ground off, and the two wires
shorted each other. The $1 fuse was intact, but the $57 relay was toasted.
No other visible damge, electrically speaking. I did have to remove and
replace a lot of other wires, as the rear mudguard (which is also your
underseat panel, holding everthing there). But I triple checked those too,
and they're all connected correctly.

I replaced that turn signal stalk, and the relay. To my dismay, when I
turned it on, fzzzzzt. Toasted it again. Well, the right one worked fine,
it's when I switched it to the left it blew. So back I went to my wiring
job, as I'd always suspect me first. Yep, I had swapped the two wires coming
out of the stalk(according to the Triumph ST service manual, though I have a
an RS).

Everything else looks normal. In my limited electrical knowledge, it seems
the swapping those two wires wouldn't blow the relay, or would they? It's
only a bulb between them, shouldn't that or the fuse have blown first?

Could ANYONE tell me what to look for? I have a multimeter, but not a lot of
skill in the electrical department. What should the 3 contacts on the
relay's socket give for continuity readings? I get one as ground (the black
one), and light blue with brown stripe one makes a circuit with the turn
switch activated in either direction. Under no conditions do I see a circuit
made with the orange wire with stripe.

What is the "normal" condition? (for the wiring, not me, as I'm always
short-circuited). can anyone offer knowledgeable help? PLEASE?

Ken M.