ref: [ST] Road Trip

Dan,

Let me give you a couple of ideas for the Sault Ste Marie part of your
journey.  A beautiful section of the country.  Check out the following if
you have time.  These are all found on the Michigan side.

White Fish Point Shipwreck Museum and Lighthouse.  Great film on the wreck
of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

Taquamonum (sp) Falls, upper and lower.  2nd largest falls East of the
Mississippi, doesnt really compare with Niagra, but a really nice well kept
state park and not at all commercialized.  A good road on the way there as
well.

Sault Ste Marie itself has the locks themselves.  You can take a boat ride
through them which is interesting.  I highly recommend you tour the old ore
freighter which they have there.  They have one of the life boats from the
Fitzgerald there.  It was torn in half by the storm that sank the Ed
Fitz.  Really makes you respect the power of the lakes.

Mackinaw Island if you have time.  You will have to take the ferry
over.  No motor vehicle allowed on the island.  Horsed and bicycles
rule.  Very commercialized, but it seems to be the place everyone goes.  A
historic fort is located there as well.

Dont forget to try the local foods.  Whitefish (I prefer it lightly
battered and fried), smoked fish, and a sort of meat pie called a pasty
(not to be confused with those found in go-go joints).

Have a good time.

Regards,

John
00 Sprint RS