[ST] More Break In

Getan,

Following up on the earlier postings on oil choices after break-in.  I think the
principle involved is the same that both Rich Wescott and myself posted, in that the
internals of the engine need some metal-to-metal contact to seat properly.  The
break-in oil allows a lot of that to happen for the first 500 miles.  After that,
the engine still will continue to break in for several thousand miles.  The
synthetic oils are so good at what they do, that if the bike is run too gently, one
may not get complete seating of the rings, with glazing of the cylinders.  I would
think that while using non-synthetic for a few thousand miles before switching to
synthetic is one way to go, it is also possible to use full synthetic, but be sure
to occasionally load the engine for periods, so it really is all the same
principle.  I think where some engines get into trouble is on the other end of the
spectrum, if riders baby them all the time, running continually under low loads at
3,000 rpm around town, which won't help the rings seat in at all.  Triumph
recommends full synthetic after break-in (or at least doesn't not recommend it), so
using synthetic in and of itself is certainly not bad, and I wouldn't drain the
crankcase.  Instead, just think about what is going on in the motor, and ride
accordingly.

OTOH, Pete Licht's loss of several intake valves is odd.  I never heard of intakes
going out, unless they were improperly adjusted.  A friend of mine lost several of
his Trophy exhaust valves on a trip to Florida.  However, that was traced to poor
valve adjustments, where the "mechanic" had him in and out the same morning, not
letting the engine fully cool before adjustment.  Other than that, valve losses on
these Triumph engines are quite rare, as far as I have heard, as long as they are
properly adjusted.

Rick Hartwick
00 ST

> Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:12:17 -0500
> From: "gbour" <gbour@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] New list member and Triumph rider, break-in issue
>
> ... I am in the break-in period of the bike (around 800 km on the clock) and I
> dont know what to think or do anymore. I tought following Triumph
> instructions was the thing to do even if I heard in the past about the
> effectiveness of giving the engine some power rush during that period. The
> first service is done and the dealer put 100% synthetic oil in it. Should I
> drain it and put semi-synthetic or new running-in oil? What is the
> running-in oil made from? Just want the best for my new baby!
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Every one dies, not every one lives!
>
> Gaétan
> '00 RS Racing Yellow