[ST] Oil Consumption and Break-In

My concern was high oil consumption.  My shop (California BMW/TRiumph)
suggested a leak down test before the warranty expired.  Based on the
results of the excessive leakdown,  Triumph authorized further diagnostics.
THis is when the valve problem was diagnosed.  Since the diagnosis was lack
of cylinder pressure,  I do not think that the valve guides were a problem.
However, I trust that they will be examined during the head recondition.
While the engine is dismantled,  I have opted to have the pistons
decarbonized and the rings replaced.  THis comes out of my pocket.

Based on what the shop tells me,  I guess that the intake valves themselves
were worn.  Since buying the bike two years ago (with .02 miles on the
odometer), I have religiously followed the factory recommended services,
all of which I have had performed at the proper mileage by Cal BMW/Triumph.
All of the recommended valve adjustments were done.  I have run the sport
can since 18k miles and has the approriate tune done on install with co
check, etc.  I believe that I have been updated on tunes since then.

One reason I decided to buy a Triumph in the first place was the 2 year
unlimited miles warranty.  I knew that I was going to rack up the miles
riding like a hooligan!

Cheers,

Peter
99ST

No dog wrote:
Oil Consumption and Break-In
It would be useful to learn the cause(es) of these conditions,
Pete.  Are you getting any specific information you can share?For example:
><snip>  all of the intake valves are severely worn,
That's pretty vague.  Are we talking valve face &/or stem wear?
Were any measurements taken?  Is it the contention then, that
valve stem seals were the source of the oil consumption?  If not,what is?
>one of the exhaust valves is burnt;
Often a tight clearance and/or lean running condition issue.Were
the services, in particular the valve adjustments, performed on
schedule?  Do you know what version tune was installed and if the
CO was checked/set afterwards?> the rings/pistons/sleeves are all fine.
Good news.  But I agree with Bare.  If the sleeves are off, why
not replace the rings?  There is a school of thought which says
if the pistons are disturbed---removed from the cylinders (or
vice-versa in this case)---the rings should be replaced and the
cylinders lightly honed to break the glaze.  The additional
costs, if any, would be insignificant compared to possibly having
to tear it down again later!
>Triumph is paying for a valve job as well as the diagnostics.
As they should . . .
>I do not look forward to having to break in the engine again.
But worth it if they'll replace the rings as well.  Otherwise, no
worries, just ride it.Good luck,Rick in Oregon'01 Sprint ST"NO Dawg"