[ST] RE: st-digest V2001 #731

Larry wrote:
>I have just turned 49,000 miles on my '99 ST.  Unfortunately, I seem to
have been a victim of
>valve seat wear as at my
>last service I was informed that some of the valves had reached the limit
of adjustment (no
>thinner shims are available)

Larry,
I concider 49000 miles to be a lot for a motorcycle. Were I live, it is
*very* hot for at least 9 months of the year which cause bikes to generally
run slightly hotter than in other parts of the world. I have a friend with
bike and engine rebuilt shop and according to him the avarage milage between
complete rebuilts on the Jap bikes he works on is 35-40000 miles. I looked
through his invoice/jobcard book and after some statistical analyses I found
that to be true. The highest miles for a first time rebuilt was 60000 on a
'94 Blade but they had to replace almost all of the internal components
including sleeves and pistons.
There were 4 BMW 4cyl 1000cc's for rebuilt during the last year ALL with
less than 50000 miles.

Regards
Gerrit Herbst

'01 Yellow RS (RIP)