[ST] Rear Brake defective?

I had to replace my rear brake pads at 6,000 miles, worn away to bare metal.
I do NOT use the rear brake heavily.  The front pads still have plenty of
wear left in them.  I've noticed since then that the rear disc gets HOT -
almost too hot to touch - after a 30 - 40 minute ride with light use.  I
would guess it was happening before I changed the pads too, and that's why
they wore so quickly.  Anyone else experienced this?  Is it a known problem?
And, more important, how does it get fixed?  I don't relish the idea of
changing brake pads every 5000 miles.  (FWIW, the dealer said "they all do
that..."  yeah, right.)

Mort Harries
'00 ST
Haworth NJ