Re: [ST] luggage

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, David Earl wrote:

> IMHO the only thing you get from the hard bags is lockable security and
> for the difference in price, I can carry the bags into my hotel really

I guess that depends on what you use the bike for, me personally I could not
see owning another daily commuter bike without the hard luggage. When in work
my exercise kit is in one panier (locked), while in the gym my work kit (lunch bag)
is in the other panier. And I can still easily pick up 50-100 bucks worth of groceries
on the way home in the top box. All with out having to worry about stuff getting
nik'd from the bike. Best of all I can leave the helmet in on the boxs when I am
in a store so I don't have to worry about knocking it around.

> easy.  Not to mention several listers have had their hard bags fall off
> at speed.

Last summer up in Can I was at the back of a pack, someone about 2 bikes ahead
lost his soft paniers. It was very entertaining to watch a set of soft
paniers flopping about on the road, especially where the two escape routes
where a) lane with on-comming traffic, b) fairly steep gravel.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 7 months old, 13,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500