Re: [ST] Travelling I-10

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, brian wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:33:26AM -0500, Bailey, Doug wrote:
> >
> > I'll be riding from Florida to San Diego along I-10 and I-8.  I'm also going
>
> Oh man, I-10 is bor--Zzzzzzzzzzz.  :b
>
> You won't miss much by doing it at night.  Although once you get out
> into West Texas, it's pretty much desert for a long way.  Riding at
> night there might actually be a little chilly, even in June.

As far as riding at night, I find that no matter how much sleep I get
my body wants to be asleep between about 2am and 6am. It can be hard
to fight the body clock.

As far as riding in the heat. On my trip the only day that really got
me was on the last leg, going through the pan handle on 183 in TX it was close
to or over 115 def F, other than that drinking lots of water and my
full perf (including arms) jacket worked well. In the pan handle I almost
rode with out the jacket and chaps, but I continued on.

For the 3-5 hours of discomfort I would no risk trying to perform on a
bike while changing my body clock. YMMV of course.

For my trips next summer I am also going to get full perf leather pants
and an going to look into better options for core cooling. From what I
understand there are thermo shirts that are very absorbant, soak them
with water and with the help of the full perf will cool you very
effectively.

> Yes, there is wildlife.  I-10 just west of San Antonio is part of the
> Hill Country and there are deer everywhere.  You'd think they'd stay off
> interstates, but you never know.

Nothing like daylight to be able to see threats.

> Did I mention that's a long ride?  When you get into TX from Lousiana
> there's a sign that says "El Paso 750 (Miles)".

If you are going to be in Dallas let us know. I am sure I could probably
arrange a spot in the garage for a bit of maintance and a spot on the
sofa for sleep.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 7 months old, 13,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500