Re: [ST] Philips Bulbs, etc

Guy Patterson wrote:

> You want the H4
> bulbs and on the RS it is a fifteen minute mod (10 minutes to figure out how
> the assembly comes apart and five minutes to do it).  The ST would take a
> while longer I think due to the better finished although heavy :-) fairing.

I don't know about the RS, but on the ST, to contradict what the owner's
manual says, one does not need to remove the fairing in order to replace
the lamps. Simply turn the handle bars completely one way or the other
and grope around in there blindly. I removed the left fairing to replace
mine but after I saw what I was doing I did the right one with the
fairing still on.

Someone questioned the longevity of the Visionplus. I had mine in the
first "Blue Devil" for about 8000 miles and they were fine until they
met a Volvo's quarter panel. When I tried to salvage them one of the
right lamp's spotwelds (on the ring with the three tabs) were broken. I
doubt that it broke because of improper installation procedure. Oh yeah.
And the fairing was still on at that point.

Well, actually the ends of it were still on, the rest was blue.

Some of it blew over here, and some of it blew over there!

Also folks...  Be sure not to touch the glass during the process of
replacing the lamps. I've never done this myself, but, coming from a
theatre background, I've seen the end result and it can give you a nice
effect. Anywhere from shortened lamp life to hideously deformed glass to
exploding lamps. Looks cool but it just gets REAL expensive after a while.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan in -Ah, damnit, there's always next year.

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil 2"

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
                                Bumper sticker