Re: [ST] headlight aim

On Monday, December 10, 2001, at 07:41  AM, Bil Swartz wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Randy S wrote:
>
>> As a follow up to our recent thread about bulbs, does anyone have a
>> procedure for aiming the headlights?  I'm not talking about physically
>> how
>> to do it, that's in the manual.  I mean what is the proper
>> horizontal/vertical position for the lights?  Should both lights be
>> adjusted
>> the same?
>
> Something I read recently suggested that the hotspots from your lights
> should be one inch lower at 25 feet than the lights are up off of the
> ground.
>
> What that means is you want to place your bike on a level surface 25
> feet
> from a wall.  Measure the height of the headlight from the ground (call
> the H), then measure the height of the hotspot the light projects onto
> the
> wall from the ground.  Adjust so that the hotspot is in front of the
> bike
> and 1 inch lower on the wall than H.
>
> I hope this makes some sense.  It did improve my visibility when I was
> messing with the Trophy's light, haven't checked the ST yet as it's
> always
> seemed to have better lighting.

This is how I have always seen recommended, and have done it myself. But
I will add that it is best to have someone else take the "H" dimension
while you, the normal rider, are seated on the bike, with a normal load,
properly aired tires (you do check them daily, right?) and a half a tank
of fuel. Then, when I get to the side of my favorite K Mart, with a flat
parking area leading to a block wall (reference grid lines), I place a
3" piece of electrical tape on said wall at H - 1". Place a marker on
the ground ~ 25' back from the wall. Now back off and ride directly
toward the tape on the wall, trying to stay perpendicular to the wall,
with the longitudinal axis of the bike centered on the tape. Stop at the
marker and start your adjustments. If you can't reach the adjusters from
the saddle, put the bike on its center stand, noting the vertical change
of the beam on the wall. I like having my left headlight hot spot ever
so little left of center, with the cutoff definitely no higher than the
tape, and the right headlight a bit more right of center and a tad
higher. I don't like having the beams converge, as this can create too
hot a hot spot, and reduces the illumination where you need it more.
Double check the vertical alignment from seated in the saddle, off the
center stand, if the center stand was used. After doing this, notice
where your beams hit parked cars/trucks or those moving with you. The
beam cutoff should be about at the base of the windshield of most
passenger cars taller than a Mazda Miata, and well below the windshield
of the SUVs and 4x4s that run around the Phoenix area. Find a dark
country road to check your horizontal alignment. I have found this setup
to not dazzle oncoming traffic, give good road coverage and get the
attention of cagers or critters thinking of coming out from the right.
On a wide, slightly divided roadway, I have even found that I can get
away with out getting flashed while on high beams.

Regards,

Dennis in Scottsdale, AZ
'00 RS miss me Yellow