Re: [ST] Arai policy change for Phone and internet sales

Paul Reyes wrote:

>  I was looking to buy a new helmet for my wife and found out that Arai
> has a new policy change in the works.

Holy schmoly! That's pretty regressive. When I lived in Maryland I
couldn't find anyone who had a decent selection of helmets, so I did a
lot of reading about proper fit and bought my Arai helmet via mailorder.
  I was happy with the fit and continue to be so.

Arai correctly points out that they need to have educated dealers who
can help correctly fit a helmet. And, yes, I disagree with those who go
to a store, try on helmets, then walk out and buy the one they liked
best from a discounter. However, I have never encountered one of these
mythical "knowledgeable Arai fitters", and can't name anyone else who
has, either. (Possible exception for the Helmet Harbor folks?)

IMHO, Arai should simply get their retailers to be knowledgeable about
fit, carry a decent selection, and have reasonable prices. All of these
things would go a long way towards getting people to buy retail. Heck,
charge folks $25 for a "helmet fit" service (a/k/a trying on helmets),
and then refund that amount if they buy a helmet. That'd cut down on
number of folks who try on helmets at retailers, but then buy via
mailorder, and it'd be offering a real service to the consumer.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff
Burlingame, CA  USA