Re: [ST] Arai policy change for Phone and internet sales

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:18:13 -0600
> From: Lex Offer <reffoxel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] Arai policy change for Phone and internet sales

SNIP

> Internet dealer.  Can be run from anywhere so cost of property
> rental/lease can be minimized, ie no need for a show room with
> lotsa lights and stuff that runs of the various bills.  Minimal
> staff, you only need a few to take the internet orders and ship
> them out.  and the big reason, larger volume of sales cause the
> whole world is your market.

SNIP

This must be the reason that the vast majority of internet-only retailers
were such a screamin' success.

I bought one Arai from MAW, the only reason I didn't buy it retail is
because Chaparral didn't have the model I wanted. ds/r if anyone gives a
crap.

I have heard the reason Arai's are more expensive is because they are hand
made. There are certain minimum thickness specs helmets must exceed in
sritical areas (around the temple is one), and due to the limitations of
automated manufacturing processes, the machinery is set to err on the side
of caution. In other words it is set to make the lids a bit on the thick
side so when there is a variation in thickness of the shell, it still is
above minimum spec. Arai hand makes the helmet so they are able to spec lids
individually, so they don't sell helmets that have a shell 3 times as thick
as it needs to be. I reckon this is why Arai helmets tend to be a tad
lighter, too. My last two helmets have been Arai's and I am going to stick
with them from here on in. Great quality product, comfortable, quiet, you
can't beat Arai for a good helmet.
I figure if they want to protect their retailers, good for them. It's my
money, I'll go spend it at the dealer if I want to. Plus I can buy some
friends ;-)
Thanks
Stuart Mumford