[ST] RE: How Do I Read my VIN #

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:16:25 -0800
> From: Rich Hartwick <hartwick@xxxxxxx>
> My VIN [...] is - SMT600FM0YJ10XXXX.
>
> This does not jive with the key posted on the ST site under
> "New Stuff - How to Read Your VIN".
>
> So what's up?

Rich,

As the author of the information that appears on the Web page, I guess the
duty falls to me to provide an explanation...

I can tell you what you've got, but I can't tell you *why* it's changed.

The VIN standard quoted is based on information from a 1994 workshop manual
(and poking around a few dealers' showrooms). The VIN structure quoted is
based on ISO-3779 (1983) and is mandatory for European Union countries. The
overall format of this is fixed, but there is some leeway in the structure
of the sub-groups to allow manufacturers to incorporate significant
information (e.g. the gearing code).

It appears that there is a different VIN structure mandated in the US. As
you're the first person to post on this, I guess this is a recent
requirement. So, here's a distillate of what I've discovered to date:

The two standards are 'broadly compatible in structure, and look like this
(says he, hoping it doesn't wrap mid-line...)

Pos  EU                          eg  US                   eg
- ---  --                          --  --                   --
 1   WMI - Manufacturer country  S   Manufacturer country S
 2   WMI - Manufacturer code     M   Manufacturer code    M
 3   WMI - Manufacturer code     T   Manufacturer code    T
 4   VDS - Model type            T   Model code**         6
 5   VDS - Model type            F   Model code**         0
 6   VDS - Model code            6   Model code**         0
 7   VDS - Model code            0   Model code**         F
 8   VDS - Model code            0   Model code**         M
 9   VDS - Engine config.        M   Check digit          0
10   VIS - Final drive ratio     G   Year of manufacture  Y
11   VIS - Year of manufacture*  X   Model plant          J
12   VIS - Serial number         n   Serial number        n
13   VIS - Serial number         n   Serial number        n
14   VIS - Serial number         n   Serial number        n
15   VIS - Serial number         n   Serial number        n
16   VIS - Serial number         n   Serial number        n
17   VIS - Serial number         n   Serial number        n

where
WMI is the World Manufacturer Identifier
VDS is the Vehicle Descriptor Section
VIS is the Vehicle Identified Section
*  YOM: 1999=X, 2000=Y, 2001=1, 2002=2 etc
** Model Code (US) supposedly comprises: type of motorcycle, line, engine
type, and net brake horse-power. The jury's out as to the arrangement of
this though - I'll post later if I find anything out ~:)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
- --
BRG