Re: US bike licence

This probably varies from state to state.  In Washington State you can
take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course (on their provided bikes),
and then go in and take a simple written test at the Department of Motor
Vehicles (DMV) to get your motorcycle endorsement.

Alternatively you can take the written and a riding test at the DMV on
your own bike.

Again, this is Washington State, South Carolina could (is probably)
different.  Most insurance companies give discounts for having taken a
safety course, plus it's fun to wrip around on a lil' 250cc bike for a
day!

- -Vero.