weird thing happened

Tai,

>The doo-hickey that holds the clutch cable in place is
>completely gone!

Ditto,
But I was 2 hours north of home along the Maine / NH border. I was riding
along with some friends in early November,
we came to a light, and I felt my lever go slack after pulling away.

Going through the mental trouble-shooting checklist as i'm moving along at
about 50 mph.  I know if I stop I may not start again!

I look at the lever, see cable coming out and moving with actuation. I look
down to the right side and see the little sheetmetal clip floating in the
breeze on the end of the cable. Cool I think, I can grab it, put a nail
through it
and get home. I ever so slowly pull off my right glove, go to grab it and
there it was Gone!   Do'h!

Well after looking for 15-20 minutes for the little black piece I roll
started the bike in first and practiced my clutchless shifting.

Made it to a hardware store, got some bailing wire and "fixed" it enough to
get to the Hampton, NH dealer.

While I was at the Triumph dealership I took a look at the different bikes,
at their actuator rods. Of the bikes
I looked at I didn't find two alike. They were all different lengths of
extension through the clip, and varying extents
of "Rivet swage". I would think that a circlipped pin would do better but it
probably cost 3-cents more per bike ;-)

While at the dealer I found out that A) they didn't have one in stock, B)
couldn't pull one off a bike on the floor, C) needed to pull the case to get
at the lower portion of the rod(?????? great design!)

So...... I rode home the hour or so clutchless for the most part and used
the bailing wire solution at stops.
When I got home, I went to the local generic bike dealer/salvage place and
picked up a "clip" from an early '70's honda I think.

The Triumph dealership ordered me the part, and it is in my tank bag as a
spare to this day.

If you still have the clip I would try to pin it rather than have the rod
replaced. My theory being that any opportunity to create a fluid leakage
path (opening the case) that can be avoided, is good. Not that the case will
leak after service but
who knows, for me it means one less trip to the dealer and now I have a
spare part and gasket and the dealer probably booked the time to replace it
anyway.

Just my .02

Jay in Peabody, Ma
'00 Sapphire ST