a reply to Darren's [Re: weird thing happened to me on my way to work... (longish)]

At 07:09 PM 2/6/2001 +1100, Darren wrote:
>>>The clutch lever became slack and I knew that
>>>the clutch cable must have broken.
>>>The doo-hickey that holds the clutch cable in place is
>>>completely gone!
>
>The same thing happened to me...
>...snip snip...
>Luckily in my case the cable had not broken, but the bit that joins the
>lower cable end to the lifter arm had come apart. This appears to have a
>pin through it which is just pressed through & not secured at all, except
>for the interference fit. This had come out of the lower half of the
>bracket, but at least none of the bits had gone astray. I managed to press
>it back together with pliers & wrap it all up in cable ties & insulation
>tape. This held for the rest of the holiday.

That was the exact piece that fell off my bike. I did not have the
opportunity to look for the device as the traffic on the bridge gets a bit
hairy at times. The new bit that holds the cable tension now has a cotter
pin instead of the pressed ping. It looks much heftier than stock.

I am really amazed at how many of us this has happened to.

Thanks for sharing your doo-hickey-falling-off story Darren.

Tai
00 RS "miss lemone"
- --
Tai Day