Re: frozen battery

Previously, you (Eric Sheley) wrote:
> They do make battery warmers just like block warmers, but you'd need to be
> in a place pretty f%$%ing cold to need one...

Years ago when I still lived in the Great White North, in an area which
got very white and very cold every winter, I had a batter blanket for
one of my vehicles.  This was a heating pad (designed for the purpose)
which wrapped around the battery and plugged in.  I had it and the oil
heater block plugged into a very heavy duty timer (which now runs the
metal halide lighting on my reef aquarium) so they would come on a few
hours before I would need it.  I sure didn't want to leave them running
all night, except the nights I was on-call for First Response (volunteer
emergency response team).

The battery blanket wasn't to keep the battery from freezing (keeping it
charged did that), but to help with the cranking power available.  A
warm battery puts out more juice than a cold one.

I'm happy I now live in Florida!

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL