Cable Lubing

All,
    I noticed that someone was concerned that cable lubing is not mentioned
in the maintenance routine for the Sprint. That may be due to the cable
itself. Sometimes the outer sheath is lined with Teflon or a plastic that is
self-lubricating. Using oil may affect the lining or attract dirt. The
pivots at either end can always be lubed and should be. At a clinic for off
road riding, a former hare scrambles national champ told us that the clutch
cable (the bike in question had a Teflon lined cable) should be flushed out
with a fast drying electrical parts solvent, but that was a dirt bike (and
dirt and mud gets into everything). If you ride in dusty or wet (road grime)
conditions, you may want to clean out your cable. On a dirt bike you would
remove the cable to do this. The Sprint would be a little more difficult.
    Howard Serlick is correct about looking over your bike periodically. The
best time is whenever you wash and dry it. I never carry spare cables. I
replace them if they show any obvious wear. I have never broken or seized a
cable, ever.
Ciao,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------