Re: The wheel is back, with out the bolt :-)

From: Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Any other machine-shop questions? I know a guy who can answer all the ones
>>can't.  :-)
>
>So how come if the spark can machine metal, it doesn't eat up the wire
>electrode?

I guess I'll have to check with the other guy I know on that one!  :-)

I suspect it will be a case of frrous/non-ferrous metals. That's why we use
a copper-based electrode for burning out a broken tap. Ergo, a copper-based
wire electrode is used in wire EDM. Same principal applies to welding. The
electrode contacts on a spot-welder are copper, otherwise they'd be joined
to the two pieces of sheet metal they're melting together. Fun stuff to chew
on while I stare at the 20" of snow we got Monday.  :-(   I still intend to
ride this weekend, when it's expected to hit a balmy 40F. Brrrr.....

Ken M.