Re: US bike licence

I hope I'm wrong, but I think I saw that SC doesn't waive the road test
even if you have taken a ride course.  Sounds really backwards, like I
said I hope I'm wrong.  At any rate, take the rider course anyway to
prepare, and try to borrow someone's 250cc bike.  I hear they set up a
nasty road test and don't budge with it.  Why is it that any moron can
go out and get a car license, ready to kill and maim with a 3000 lb
vehicle, but to ride a 500lb vehicle you have to jump through hoops?
Why shouldn't cage drivers have to go through a battery of tests too?

Mark

Eric Sheley wrote:

> At 05:39 PM 2/5/01 -0600, Anderson, Neil G (CPR) wrote:
> >I've just moved to the US and converted my UK car+bike licence into a South
> >Carolina car licence...but without the bike bit.  I now need to take a bike
> >test to get an SC bike licence, but before I start, I'm wondering if it's
> >best to take a particular safety course in order to get insurance discounts.
> >And I don't have the ST here, so I need to hire/borrow a bike for the test!
> >Can anyone in the US advise me please?
>
> Neil,
>
> Check with http://www.scridered.org/ and see what they suggest. Of course
> things vary from state to state, but here in Florida, if you pass the test,
> you just take your card and license back to DMV and get a motorcycle
> endorsement - not sure if it is the same in SC. If you take the basic class
> they even supply the bike.
>
> -Eric

- --

Mark Collett